Imagine the savory taste of barbecue pulled pork without having to fire up the grill. This sweet and tangy recipe uses a slow cooker. Prepare this dish in the morning before work, and you’ll come home to a tasty meal that the entire family will love. Not only is it diabetic friendly, it’s also packed with protein that can help maintain blood sugar levels. You’ll pull out this recipe time and time again!
Makes 10 servings
2 medium onions, cut into thin wedges
½ cup water
1, 2 or 2-½ lb. boneless pork sirloin roast
½ tsp. chili powder
½ tsp. ground cumin
½ tsp. ground black pepper
¼ tsp. garlic powder
1 cup bottled low-calorie barbecue sauce
¼ cup cider vinegar
1 Tbsp. honey
¼ tsp. ground ginger
10 whole wheat hamburger buns, split and toasted
1. Using a 4-quart slow cooker, combine water and onions; then set aside. Prepare meat by trimming off fat.
2. Combine the following in a small bowl: chili powder, ¼ tsp. cumin, garlic powder, and pepper. Rub mixture over meat; then place in cooker.
3. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 9 hours. Another option is to cook on high for 4 to 4-1/2 hours.
4. Once done, remove meat and onions. Shred meat by pulling apart with two forks. Keep onions separate.
5. Combine the following in a large bowl: barbecue sauce, honey, vinegar, ginger, and remaining cumin.
6. Add shredded meat to mixture; toss to coat.
7. Place 1/3 cup meat on each bun. Add onions to taste.
Serving Size: 1 sandwich
Calories – 251
Fat – 5 g
Saturated Fat – 1 g
Cholesterol – 57 mg
Sodium – 587 mg
Carbohydrates – 27 g
Fiber – 3 g
Sugar – 7 g
Protein – 23 g
Lean Meat = 2.5
Starch = 2
Photo: Five Heart Home